Thursday, February 16, 2012

"I can not remember having any negative feelings associated with (color) as a child."

Through the eyes of: LaShawndra (Written by LaShawndra)

I realized I was black when I was in elementary school. I had to be in either the first or second grade. I often noticed that the majority of people at my school were very similar to me and lived in the same areas I lived in and knew so well. I had one friend who did not exactly look like me or what I was use to, but she was apart of the things (places and people) that I had associated with the norm. Although, I was able to realize the difference (as far as color of skin was concerned) amongst my childhood friend and I, I will say that I can not remember having any negative feelings associated with it as a child. Today, being a product of the South, having an African American president, and being consciously aware of subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) prejudices has inevitably made me more aware of my blackness.

No comments: