Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The state of Americans on the State of the Union

Courtesy of: zimbio.com
 article by:stacia_doss.
Aside from listening to the Republican Response and hearing from political analysts, I find that the best way for me to see what America thought of President Obama's State of the Union speech is through comments.

Many people like me now get their news "non-traditionally",meaning not from a newspaper at my front door or by cutting on the television. We look online. We read articles and comment.

From what I have seen from this Yahoo! article is a good variety of comments both for and against President Obama. However, those who didn't compose their own comments seemed to have said the most and showed the most disgust. What I'm saying is that there were several thumbs up on negative comments, and more thumbs down on the positive ones.

How about CNN? What Americans had to say about this article were generally in support of Obama's speech. But then again, CNN is often accused of having liberal bias.

So...what do I think?

I think it was a great State of the Union address, overall. There were a few things analysts mentioned prior to the speech that they said were "musts" for him to discuss, such as gun control and global warming. However, I feel he touched on very important issues...the issues that the majority of Americans feel are most vital at this time.

It was pretty predictable,(and I knew this before he even said a word), that many reactions would be negative. It doesn't matter what he or anyone else says that is positive, if things aren't happening as he speaks about them, some people are just not going to be convinced. Consequently, the false hope and promises the Republicans are making ( to completely oppose Obama) aren't any better than those the Democrats have promised and have yet made true. They just sound better to the American people right now because Republicans haven't had the chance to show us that most of their agenda can also not be done in the blink of an eye.

What I read from the comments were a lot of people saying that he was speaking on promises he can't keep..they almost read as if the speech should have never been made. Well, the point of the State of the Union address is to speak the truth with motivation and hope for a prosperous future. I feel he did that eloquently. Anyone in the position would have done the same..not a hopeless speech full of negative and hostile rhetoric. That wouldn't be very motivating, would it?

I'd like to know what you think.

No comments: